Ask an arborist

tree-care.info for tree advice

Are Red Buckeye Tree Conkers poisonous?

Are Red Buckeye Tree Conkers poisonous?
Posted by: Shellstar (IP Logged)
Date: April 11, 2011 09:29

Hi there,

As a planning condition for a build (in South Wales, UK), we have had to plant trees in our backgarden and the Aborist chose a Red Buckeye. This was planted 2 weeks ago and it is already starting to flower. We weren't given a choice on the type of tree, this was chosen for us. I have since done some reasearch on this tree and according to websites, the Fruits (conkers etc) are deadly if swollowed. I have 2 small children and we are planning on getting a dog. This tree is in the middle of our garden and I am now really concerned and quite annoyed that if the tree is poisonous, we weren't told about it. Just wanted some advice on whether these trees are poisonous and whether after 2 weeks it would be possible to pull it up and replant another without actually killing it.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2011 09:40 by Shellstar.

Subject Posted By Posted
|  Are Red Buckeye Tree Conkers poisonous? Shellstar 11/04/2011 09:29
||  Re: Are Red Buckeye Tree Conkers poisonous? Roy 01/07/2011 14:06

Advice offered in this forum is of a general nature only. It is by its nature not based on any site investigation and should not be relied upon. Neither the forum administrator nor any contributor will be held liable for damages occurring as a result of relying on advice given here. You should contact a competent arboriculturist for a more detailed answer.