Ask an arborist

tree-care.info for tree advice

Willow dying?

Willow dying?
Posted by: CSGreen (IP Logged)
Date: May 28, 2012 20:57

This willow was in my parents yard some 30 years ago and beautiful. Dad died and Mom remarried . . . they let the tree fall to boreworm (someone told me) and it is now in sad condition. Mom is in early stages of Alzheimer's Disease and has always been a penny pincher but it way overboard now . . . won't even keep the house in repair unless I force the issue . . . and I'm disabled with little income.

I was told I can't cut the dead brances out because it will kill the tree but I fail to understand that when the branches are already dead . . . so, there is not water access by the tree and no way to spray it down if boreworm is actually what the problem is . . . it is now a matter of cuttint off the dead branches to a forks or cutting down the tree.

Photos:
[greenwinds.com]
[greenwinds.com]
[greenwinds.com]

Can I lop off the dead brances or should I let her chop it down?
My inclination is to attempt chopping off the dead branches so they can't fall on someone's head and let God take it from there . . . but don't know how to get rid of boreworm even if I can find someone who will prune it for me.

I don't want to let it go, but I don't have much choice as she's afraid it will fall on someone's head . . .

Subject Posted By Posted
|  Willow dying? CSGreen 28/05/2012 20:57
||  Re: Willow dying? James_Martin 08/01/2013 12:09

Advice offered in this forum is of a general nature only. It is by its nature not based on any site investigation and should not be relied upon. Neither the forum administrator nor any contributor will be held liable for damages occurring as a result of relying on advice given here. You should contact a competent arboriculturist for a more detailed answer.