Ask an arborist

tree-care.info for tree advice

How to save a Western Hemlock that has been living indoors?

How to save a Western Hemlock that has been living indoors?
Posted by: Melanie (IP Logged)
Date: December 03, 2013 07:50

I live in Oregon and I'm hoping you can help me give me advice about a western hemlock (tsuga heterophylla)

I have a young Western Hemlock-- Tsuga heterophylla-- approximately 2-3 years old that has been in a large pot outdoors since it was a year old.

When I moved I brought it with me to my apartment, but I don't have a private outdoor area-- only a shared yard, so I have had my hemlock indoors for months now. It has been doing fine. It is typically always humid in here thanks to the rain, and I don't have heat so the home temperature is honestly usually 60-68 degrees F

However, it just started dropping all of its needles and I'm panicking. I really love this tree. I did research online and learned that they are not tolerant to indoor conditions. I should have known that beforehand.

So, in a desperate attempt to save it, I want to put it outside in the shared yard but it's very cold outside now and I know that drastic changes like that would likely just kill it. I could try slowly acclimating it to the outdoor weather a little at a time before leaving it out there, but going from indoors to outdoors is currently going to be a difference of 30+ degrees.

Is this a hopeless endeavor at this point? Is there anything I can do? I have it right next to a window where it is receiving a cold, moist draft of air. I mist its foliage daily. I have a layer of pebbles and organic matter on the top of the soil and I have always maintained moist soil and I make sure it doesn't sit in a water. I've been using filtered spring water to water it.

If you have any advice as to how I can quickly save my beloved hemlock, or anybody you can refer me to that could better advise me, I would be extraordinarily grateful. Please and thank you!

Subject Posted By Posted
|  How to save a Western Hemlock that has been living indoors? Melanie 03/12/2013 07:50

Advice offered in this forum is of a general nature only. It is by its nature not based on any site investigation and should not be relied upon. Neither the forum administrator nor any contributor will be held liable for damages occurring as a result of relying on advice given here. You should contact a competent arboriculturist for a more detailed answer.