Ask an arborist

tree-care.info for tree advice

Removing lag bolts from trees, what to do about holes?

Removing lag bolts from trees, what to do about holes?
Posted by: Matthew (IP Logged)
Date: April 17, 2014 21:40

I have a tree house already installed, with about 8 lag bolts holding the whole thing up to the tree. The lag bolts are about 3/4 of an inch wide and 8 inches long. I'd like to remove the tree house as it is no longer used. Will removing the lag bolts cause more damage? I'd like to remove them since it will be unsightly leaving them in, but I'm concerned about the holes left in the tree. Do I just take them out and not worry about it, or do the holes need to be filled with something to prevent infections or bugs?

Not sure it matters, but I'm in Toronto, Canada so the weather is getting warmer right now as spring is here. In about 9 months it will be cold again, so not sure if tree will be OK by then or cold weather will be a factor. I believe the tree is some sort of Elm tree.

Thanks,

Matthew.

Subject Posted By Posted
|  Removing lag bolts from trees, what to do about holes? Matthew 17/04/2014 21:40

Advice offered in this forum is of a general nature only. It is by its nature not based on any site investigation and should not be relied upon. Neither the forum administrator nor any contributor will be held liable for damages occurring as a result of relying on advice given here. You should contact a competent arboriculturist for a more detailed answer.