Ask an arborist

tree-care.info for tree advice

atlas cedar with extensive dieback

atlas cedar with extensive dieback
Posted by: Ray (IP Logged)
Date: April 26, 2014 18:48

Hi

We have an Atlas cedar in our garden in Norfolk, UK. It is about 30 foot tall but I couldn't say how old as we have only lived here 4 years.
In that 4 years it has been healthy, producing many cones each year. This year however we have had a lot of dieback of branches all over the tree at varying heights as well as needles dropping off and there does not seem to be any new growth appearing this year.
We inspected the tree today after some advice from an expert and found red spider mites present. I have been searching for ways to treat this but they all seem to be by spraying which is a bit of a problem with a tree of this size.
It was suggested that we could water the roots of the tree with an insecticide which would work its way up and cure the problem but I have read that if the tree is too tall to spray then there is no hope.
It is a beautiful tree and it would be a great shame to lose it. Can anybody help please?
Thanks, Ray

Subject Posted By Posted
|  atlas cedar with extensive dieback Ray 26/04/2014 18:48

Advice offered in this forum is of a general nature only. It is by its nature not based on any site investigation and should not be relied upon. Neither the forum administrator nor any contributor will be held liable for damages occurring as a result of relying on advice given here. You should contact a competent arboriculturist for a more detailed answer.