Ask an arborist

tree-care.info for tree advice

Quercus Ilex (Holm Oak) Shedding badly...

Quercus Ilex (Holm Oak) Shedding badly...
Posted by: tom o'shea (IP Logged)
Date: May 24, 2015 18:51

Hi I planted 11 x 4 metre standard Holm oaks last year for screening.

The trees were container grown and planted into new soil in Feb 2014, they didn't grow much as one would expect in 2014 however they remained in good condition throughout the year and over the winter period. Last year most trees had an infestation of what I can best describe as fruit fly larvae (looked like little red/ orange mites under the leaves, though they aren't present this year)

In the last 3 weeks one of the trees in particular has started shedding quite heavily throughout the crown and more so on the parts of the branches/ twigs that are further from the trunk.

The leaves are blackening in patches, going brown at the tips and then turning yellow/ brown before falling off.

There is new growth occurring on the tree at the same time, and new leaves are forming/ budding and are just starting to develop.

I believe the trees were imported from Italy originally.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I can email photos if this would help

Tom

Subject Posted By Posted
|  Quercus Ilex (Holm Oak) Shedding badly... tom o'shea 24/05/2015 18:51

Advice offered in this forum is of a general nature only. It is by its nature not based on any site investigation and should not be relied upon. Neither the forum administrator nor any contributor will be held liable for damages occurring as a result of relying on advice given here. You should contact a competent arboriculturist for a more detailed answer.