Ask an arborist

tree-care.info for tree advice

Emerald Ash Borer

Emerald Ash Borer
Posted by: Roger Daleiden (IP Logged)
Date: October 06, 2015 13:40

I have 2 large ash trees on my property, and I am concerned that they may have become infested with the emerald ash borer. They are 50 feet high, with trunk diameter of 2 1/2 to 3 feet at the base (50-60 years old). They had been very healthy, and had been Professionally trimmed about 8 years back, so there was little deadwood in the canopies.

This year there are many medium beaches in the canopies that have completely died (5-10% dieback), with similar small to medium limbs adjacent looking just fine. I spoke with an arborist that I had met by chance, and he asked if the bark had turned yellow. There is a yellow looking moss or lichen covering both trees bark (They had been just gray in the past). He indicated that yellow bark was evidence of infestation, and said he would need to get up in the trees to look for other evidence (D shaped exit holes). He also said that the EAB has not been seen in my neighborhood, but has been reported in the area a couple years back (Madison, WI far East near HWY51)

I would like to save these trees, or maybe take one down and save the remaining. I tried applying the liquid root pesticide available at garden stores, but it did not seem to work. When I was much younger I worked as a ground man and then became a climber, so I have an awareness of how my trees should appear. I think that they be infested. How can I find out for sure? Can they be saved? I may apply for an application license to do injections myself...

Thanks!
Roger

Subject Posted By Posted
|  Emerald Ash Borer Roger Daleiden 06/10/2015 13:40
||  Re: Emerald Ash Borer Benny070069 23/10/2015 09:04

Advice offered in this forum is of a general nature only. It is by its nature not based on any site investigation and should not be relied upon. Neither the forum administrator nor any contributor will be held liable for damages occurring as a result of relying on advice given here. You should contact a competent arboriculturist for a more detailed answer.