Ask an arborist

tree-care.info for tree advice

Tilia x europaea never flowers! Why?

Tilia x europaea never flowers! Why?
Posted by: Sam Hopes (IP Logged)
Date: September 03, 2016 10:35

Hi, I have three Tilia x europaea growing in my garden. I expect they were planted when the house was built in around 1860. They are roughly 10-12 metres tall and have been pollarded around 6-7 metres up. We've always continued to prune the branches, albeit not always in a regular pattern - sometimes every year but sometimes it might go a few years before they're done again. They are growing on heavy clay soil and don't seem to struggle with growth at all. One of the trees has recently developed some spotting on the leaves and some of the leaves are growing a bit scrunched up rather than big and flat like usual.

In the village there are several other lime trees, all of which have flowered this year, however my trees have never flowered! I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to why this might be when all the other nearby trees do flower? We'd love for them to flower and attract all the wildlife accociated with them.

Is there anything I can do to improve the health of the trees also? I'm going to compost all around them this year and tried to water them when it's been hot and dry. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Subject Posted By Posted
|  Tilia x europaea never flowers! Why? Sam Hopes 03/09/2016 10:35

Advice offered in this forum is of a general nature only. It is by its nature not based on any site investigation and should not be relied upon. Neither the forum administrator nor any contributor will be held liable for damages occurring as a result of relying on advice given here. You should contact a competent arboriculturist for a more detailed answer.