Ask an arborist

tree-care.info for tree advice

HELP: Care for 'Harry Lauder's Walking Stick'

HELP: Care for 'Harry Lauder's Walking Stick'
Posted by: Jennifer (IP Logged)
Date: April 20, 2017 19:02

I just transplanted a Harry Lauder's Walking Stick from my mother's home to my home. The previous two winters were really tough on it, but last year it rebounded quite nicely, but not completely. It appears as though 30%-40% may be dead / infected, but I really don't want to kill the whole tree, want to confirm it needs to be trimmed, and if so, how to do it (where to make the cut and if anything needs to be done where I make the cut). I know nothing about trees or how to prune them, but not sure it's worth the cost and time to call an arborist for my little 3.5' tree. I'm attaching several pictures.

1. You can see the healthy part is more brown / reddish brown in color and has a ton of buds forming. The rest is grey with no signs of new growth or life. In the pictures, the damaged part is mainly in the foreground and to the left.

2. The grey part also has a fair amount of green on it, not sure if this is a fungus or okay. The healthy part has little to no green on it.

3. Separately, there appears to be a straight branch growing from the root, but it's stick straight (you can see it on the bottom right in a couple pictures). Is this part of the plant (maybe original graft origin), and should I cut it?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Subject Posted By Posted
|  HELP: Care for 'Harry Lauder's Walking Stick' Jennifer 20/04/2017 19:02

Advice offered in this forum is of a general nature only. It is by its nature not based on any site investigation and should not be relied upon. Neither the forum administrator nor any contributor will be held liable for damages occurring as a result of relying on advice given here. You should contact a competent arboriculturist for a more detailed answer.