Ask an arborist

tree-care.info for tree advice

Noble Fir Tree 30 Ft Going Brown

Noble Fir Tree 30 Ft Going Brown
Posted by: Jo (IP Logged)
Date: August 01, 2017 12:28

We bought a property 2.5 years ago. There was a Noble Fir Christmas Tree that had been planted into the ground with the red bucket it had come in. It had little room to grow due to a leaky workshop that was in the way.

We took down the workshop, did major work to the garden and the tree blossomed. It is immense at 30ft now and every year we have wonderful new growth.

Ever since we have been here, we have noticed that the tree is losing possibly sap, (dark substance) from the branches and this substance is speckled on the patio.

In the last six or so months (est.) I have noticed the tree is going brown from the inside out and there is now brown appearing on some of the pine needles on the outer edges. (Prevalent on the side of the tree that is facing the house - lack of sun ?)

My first thought was drought but our water table is around 4ft. (We built a koi pond near the tree in question and it's 4ft deep).

I did some research the other day and I'm now thinking it could be something horrid like Bark Beetle. The tree is losing needles. There is no "sawdust" on the patio from the tree, just the dark speckled substance (sap?) on the patio.

It's a majestic architectural tree and I would be devastated to lose it. I just need some direction.

If it truly is lack of water, we could drive a pipe down towards the tap root and give it extra water that way (they did this in Kew Gardens when there was a drought).

Please, I would appreciate any help you can offer me.

I apologise if this has been answered but when I tried to search I got the following message "You do not have permission to access the resource you have requested." (I was logged in.)

Kind regards,

Jo

Subject Posted By Posted
|  Noble Fir Tree 30 Ft Going Brown Jo 01/08/2017 12:28

Advice offered in this forum is of a general nature only. It is by its nature not based on any site investigation and should not be relied upon. Neither the forum administrator nor any contributor will be held liable for damages occurring as a result of relying on advice given here. You should contact a competent arboriculturist for a more detailed answer.