Ask an arborist

tree-care.info for tree advice

Best way to deal with tree root coming through lawn?

Best way to deal with tree root coming through lawn?
Posted by: JessieRocket (IP Logged)
Date: August 26, 2018 17:37

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on this - recently the neighbours of a property I let have complained of a tree root emerging through their lawn and catching their mower; they believe this is coming from a fir tree on my side and that this is my responsibility to deal with. Questions of legal responsibility aside (although if anyone can tell me where I stand on that it would be much appreciated!), I am wondering what would be the best way to deal with this root without risking destabilising or killing the tree. It looks to me like a major root and I have read that cutting large roots too close to the tree can cause problems.

Here are some pictures of the exposed root, beyond which you can see our shared fence and just above it the suspected culprit, the fir tree:

Close up of tree root
Location of root in relation to fence and fir tree
Showing how close root is to fence

Is it possible that the top of the exposed root could just be 'shaved' rather than cutting the whole thing, or would this pose a risk of disease? Although I am also concerned that the root could also eventually cause issues with the fence so this wouldn't be a solution to that.

Any suggestions gratefully received! Thanks :)

Subject Posted By Posted
|  Best way to deal with tree root coming through lawn? JessieRocket 26/08/2018 17:37

Advice offered in this forum is of a general nature only. It is by its nature not based on any site investigation and should not be relied upon. Neither the forum administrator nor any contributor will be held liable for damages occurring as a result of relying on advice given here. You should contact a competent arboriculturist for a more detailed answer.