Ask an arborist

tree-care.info for tree advice

Lquidambar Styraciflua 'Festival' transplanting Question (Southern California)

Lquidambar Styraciflua 'Festival' transplanting Question (Southern California)
Posted by: Juan (IP Logged)
Date: October 21, 2018 21:49

Hello arborist experts! I have a question regarding a young liquidambar Styraciflua 'Festival' Tree tree I have (7 feet tall). I live in Oceanside, California (San Diego North County), ZONE 10. Bought the tree last year from the nursery and I planted it in my front yard. Tree is doing great, only I think its too close to the house (its about an 8 feet distance from the house). I read a few horror stories on here and some other sources, saying liquidambar roots are pretty invasive and the foundation of the house might at risk in the future. Have two questions:

1)Do I need to move my tree? I could be moving it to my back yard, where it would be around 25 feet from the house.
2) If the answer is yes, and I need to move it: When is a good time to transplant it? As mentioned, I am in Oceanside, CA, from what I was able to find out, Zone 10. Do I move it now when its about to enter the dormant season? (starting fall...) or more like early spring?

Any feedback you can provide is HIGHLY appreciated. I love my tree and I dont want to kill it. Thank you so much!!!!
Juan

Subject Posted By Posted
|  Lquidambar Styraciflua 'Festival' transplanting Question (Southern California) Juan 21/10/2018 21:49

Before posting, make sure you have read through our tips on getting an answer and searched to see if your question has already been answered

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please enter the code that you see below in the input field. This helps ensure that automated systems do not post spam to the forum.
CAPTCHA
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

Advice offered in this forum is of a general nature only. It is by its nature not based on any site investigation and should not be relied upon. Neither the forum administrator nor any contributor will be held liable for damages occurring as a result of relying on advice given here. You should contact a competent arboriculturist for a more detailed answer.