Ask an arborist

tree-care.info for tree advice

Concern over avacado tree

Concern over avacado tree
Posted by: AndyD (IP Logged)
Date: March 10, 2019 14:22

I am writing to se if anyone might be able to shed light on whats happening with an avacado tree in my yard. I would certainly appreciate any information about this matter. First some background. It is located in the city of Port St Lucie, Florida and we have lived in the home since 2015 and the tree was inherited with the house. It looked healthy then as far as the dark green leaves and its size being around 12 ft. Never really bearing fruit but maybe for that first year and not very many then. Over the last few years we've noticed that a prominent branch or section, not the whole tree, would brown and appear to die. We simply removed it and hoped fir the best. But in late 2018 over half the tree has done this and dropped leaves. Uncannily however, the other half of the tree looks fine. I did s small bit of research and found out about the beetle in south Florida that attacks avacados and leaves signs like toothpick like spikes sticking out of the trunk but have not found anything like this. So we are now in March of 2019 and the growing season is about to begin. We are wondering what to do about this tree. Chop it down because it will eventually die anyway. Treat it somehow or just let it run its course. Again any help in this matter would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Subject Posted By Posted
|  Concern over avacado tree AndyD 10/03/2019 14:22

Before posting, make sure you have read through our tips on getting an answer and searched to see if your question has already been answered

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please enter the code that you see below in the input field. This helps ensure that automated systems do not post spam to the forum.
CAPTCHA
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

Advice offered in this forum is of a general nature only. It is by its nature not based on any site investigation and should not be relied upon. Neither the forum administrator nor any contributor will be held liable for damages occurring as a result of relying on advice given here. You should contact a competent arboriculturist for a more detailed answer.