Ask an arborist

tree-care.info for tree advice

Second mature silver birch dying??

Second mature silver birch dying??
Posted by: Claire (IP Logged)
Date: May 24, 2019 18:44

Hello,

Last year, a mature (40+ years) silver birch in a group of 3 in our garden in Cambridgeshire started coming into leaf but then all leaves turned brown and the tree died. We'd only just moved into the house and the tree felling company said it looked like it had previously been ring barked so I didn't think anything more of it. However, a second silver birch in the group has now started showing the same symptoms although it doesn't have the same damage to the bark as the first one. The leaves have turned brown from bottom up - there are some green leaves holding on at the very top of the tree - and I'm worried this tree is dying now too. Does anyone know if there is anything I can try to save it and, if it does die, could it happen to the other silver birches we have in our garden (we have quite a lot of them)? I don't think I have long to try to save the tree - all responses very gratefully received.

Thank you, Claire

Subject Posted By Posted
|  Second mature silver birch dying?? Claire 24/05/2019 18:44

Advice offered in this forum is of a general nature only. It is by its nature not based on any site investigation and should not be relied upon. Neither the forum administrator nor any contributor will be held liable for damages occurring as a result of relying on advice given here. You should contact a competent arboriculturist for a more detailed answer.