Ask an arborist

tree-care.info for tree advice

Special considerations when planting field grown trees?

Special considerations when planting field grown trees?
Posted by: Aaron (IP Logged)
Date: August 13, 2020 18:50

Hi all. My question is regarding any special considerations at the time of planting field-grown trees that will be later dug up and transplanted. I've found lots of information on transplanting, but not on the initial planting of said trees.

I live in North Carolina and have a number of small potted maple trees that came my way. I'd like to plant them in the ground to take advantage of the faster growing that way. The place I plan to plant them now won't be final, so they will be dug up and transplanted.

Is there anything I should do differently when planting a tree I know will be dug up later? I know maples can have more shallow roots but I'm not sure if that is a concern.

As I said I've found lots of transplanting advice, but is there preferred method? I have a tractor but no other heavy equipment so figure it will be shovels unless there is a better way.

Subject Posted By Posted
|  Special considerations when planting field grown trees? Aaron 13/08/2020 18:50

Before posting, make sure you have read through our tips on getting an answer and searched to see if your question has already been answered

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please enter the code that you see below in the input field. This helps ensure that automated systems do not post spam to the forum.
CAPTCHA
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

Advice offered in this forum is of a general nature only. It is by its nature not based on any site investigation and should not be relied upon. Neither the forum administrator nor any contributor will be held liable for damages occurring as a result of relying on advice given here. You should contact a competent arboriculturist for a more detailed answer.