Ask an arborist

tree-care.info for tree advice

Nottinghamshire Established Pear Tree Query

Nottinghamshire Established Pear Tree Query
Posted by: Greg Steele (IP Logged)
Date: July 04, 2021 17:58

Hi all,

I'd be really grateful for some advice on an established pear tree in our garden. I hope this isn't a repeat post - I couldn't find anything similar on the search. I am very much an amateur but enthusiastic gardener and want to do my best for this tree. We bought the house in Nov 19 and a pear tree came with it - I believe it is a common pear but I don't know which variety. It clearly has been trained in the past as it is a T shape and still has some of the metal support buried in the trunk! The last two springs it has flowered nicely and then not fruited at all - both years there has been maybe ~1 pear at best that develops at all. I have also noticed it suffers from small outbreaks (~6 inches from the tip of various branches) of fire blight, which I have tried my best to remove. I am also aware it has lots of crossing branches which I know I need to sort out. 

My queries are: 

1) Pruning. Does this need standard maintenance in the winter to remove the fire blight plus any crossing branches, or does this need more radical surgery (pollarding?).

2) Is the lack of fruit an issue or is it something simple like lacking a companion tree for pollination? There are no other pear trees in the area. If pollination is the issue, could you recommend a hardy variety to help my tree? It flowers ~April ish. 

Many thanks in advance, I am very grateful! 

Greg Steele

Nottinghamshire.

Subject Posted By Posted
|  Nottinghamshire Established Pear Tree Query Greg Steele 04/07/2021 17:58

Before posting, make sure you have read through our tips on getting an answer and searched to see if your question has already been answered

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please enter the code that you see below in the input field. This helps ensure that automated systems do not post spam to the forum.
CAPTCHA
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

Advice offered in this forum is of a general nature only. It is by its nature not based on any site investigation and should not be relied upon. Neither the forum administrator nor any contributor will be held liable for damages occurring as a result of relying on advice given here. You should contact a competent arboriculturist for a more detailed answer.