Ask an arborist

tree-care.info for tree advice

Kwanzan Cherry Tree bark split

Kwanzan Cherry Tree bark split
Posted by: Sherrie (IP Logged)
Date: September 04, 2007 00:23

We have a kwanzan cherry tree that was planted in the Fall of 2003. The tree was planted by the nursery, tree diameter was about 1 1/2 inches, and the mulch ring is 5 feet in diameter. In the Spring of 2005 I noticed that the bark started to split on the Southeast side of the tree, about 4" from the base and extended up 10". I followed instructions to trace the split, but it continued to roll back exposing at least half of the inner core of the tree. Now the inner core has a split in it and is a gray color. The Spring of 2006 and 2007 had blooms, but the tree has some branches that look dead and overall just doesn't look well, even though the leaves are green. The growth seems to be stunted and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do for this tree. As a side note, the yard has been fertilized using Scott's 4-Step program.

Subject Posted By Posted
|  Kwanzan Cherry Tree bark split Sherrie 04/09/2007 00:23
||  Re: Kwanzan Cherry Tree bark split Newt 04/11/2007 04:50

Before posting, make sure you have read through our tips on getting an answer and searched to see if your question has already been answered

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please enter the code that you see below in the input field. This helps ensure that automated systems do not post spam to the forum.
CAPTCHA
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

Advice offered in this forum is of a general nature only. It is by its nature not based on any site investigation and should not be relied upon. Neither the forum administrator nor any contributor will be held liable for damages occurring as a result of relying on advice given here. You should contact a competent arboriculturist for a more detailed answer.