Ask an arborist

tree-care.info for tree advice

Oak Tree is dying

Oak Tree is dying
Posted by: Chris Mink (IP Logged)
Date: October 03, 2007 14:33

I live in Heflin Alabama and I have a very old and very large oak tree. I am not sure as to what kind it is. I know there are several varieties of oak trees. This one has the small leaves and small acorns.(not much help i'm sure). Anyway it has a fork in it about 20 feet up the trunk. One side of the fork has lost all of its leaves and the branches are starting to fall off. I first noticed this at the first of the summer. There also seems to be a large amount of moss or mold up in the limbs on the side that is dying. I was just wondering if there is anything I can do to help this tree, i.e. trim it back, top it out, ect... I also have several other old oaks about 20 yards away from this tree. One thing I have done to this tree in the past that i am sure did not help it was use some round-up heavy brush killer to get rid of the poison oak it had growing up and around it.

Subject Posted By Posted
|  Oak Tree is dying Chris Mink 03/10/2007 14:33
||  Re: Oak Tree is dying Newt 04/11/2007 02:22

Advice offered in this forum is of a general nature only. It is by its nature not based on any site investigation and should not be relied upon. Neither the forum administrator nor any contributor will be held liable for damages occurring as a result of relying on advice given here. You should contact a competent arboriculturist for a more detailed answer.