Ask an arborist

tree-care.info for tree advice

Robinia Frisia - dormant

Robinia Frisia - dormant
Posted by: Steven Skliros (IP Logged)
Date: October 31, 2007 11:07

Hi, my name is Steve, I live in Melbourne Australia. Approx. 8 years ago I build 2 houses, next to each other, one of which I sold and the other I still live in. At the time we planted a Robinia Frisia in the rear garden of each house and they both grew very well up until 2 years ago, when they stopped sprouting. They appear to have become dormant. They are now approx. 5-6 meters tall with their trunk being approx. 250mm in diameter.
For the first 6 years they were pruned back at the start of spring and they would sprout very well producing a rich and thick follage. The last two years there has been virtually no sprouting.
Melbourne has been very dry the last few years and we also have many possums in the area.
Next to both on these trees is also a Japanese Mapple which is also experiencing the same thing, however all other plants around them are OK e.g. birds of paradise, silver birch, camilias.
Can anyone tell me what may have occurred and what I can do to rectify it. It is a shame to lose such a great tree.

Regards,

Steve.

Subject Posted By Posted
|  Robinia Frisia - dormant Steven Skliros 31/10/2007 11:07
||  Re: Robinia Frisia - dormant chris 31/10/2007 12:56

Advice offered in this forum is of a general nature only. It is by its nature not based on any site investigation and should not be relied upon. Neither the forum administrator nor any contributor will be held liable for damages occurring as a result of relying on advice given here. You should contact a competent arboriculturist for a more detailed answer.