UKTC Archive

RE: Disposal of waste

Subject: RE: Disposal of waste
Date: Nov 22 2000 10:05:04
Oh waste what a problem that is

My understanding of the situation is as follows.

1. if you are burning and anybody takes exception then it becomes a nuicance 
under the env. protection act.

2. you cant burn at all in a LA designated smoke free zone.

3. if you are carrying 'waste' and the definition of that is long and 
complicated you need 2 things a) a wate carriers licioence from the 
Environment agency, i think they are just over the £100 pounds mark but to 
get them you must be able to demonstrate that you are disposing of the waste 
at an appropriate location.b)0 when you are moving the waste you require a 
waste transfer sheet thease you can make your self. they need to show things 
like date, drivers name, vehicle reg, type of waste and waste destination.

4. if you tip your waste at a transfer station you should get a 'duty of care 
ticket' many people do this as part of a recuipt. they must supply you with 
it, and the info on the doc ticet need to tie up with your transfer sheet. 
you can be stopped at any time by the police environment agency or LA duty of 
care officer and asked to show all paperwork if it does not tie up then you 
can get done quite badley.

5. you can store a certain amount of waste on your land (cant rember the 
amount but it is not huge) without having to have the site licenced. however 
if you take waste from anyone els even a car boot full you need a waste 
transfer station licence. this can be restricted to 'green waste' but 
requires lots of paperwork, a test/interview with the environment agency, and 
in most cases planning permission. you then have to dispaly specific notices 
and get a provisional licience number when ea are happy you may get your full 
liecence. ther is an awfull lot to getting it and the ea carry out regular 
unannounced site visits to make sure you are conforming to your licence, if 
not they shut you down.

6. wood chips & composting, you can move wood chip without the above (well 
gennerally) provided it has an end use, eg if you are taking it to put as a 
mulch then its ok if you are taking it to a landfill then it's waste see 

7. you can compost on your land upto 1000m2 at any one time if you go above 
that amount it requres a waste managment licence, you may also require on of 
these to operate a transfer station but im doing all this from memory and 
cant clearly remeber. 1000m2 sounds a lot but you can still build it up 
quickly if you are buisy.

having said that most people in your line of work are now using 
chippers/shredders etc as you can compost the waste, if done properly you can 
have excellent compost in 6 weeks, you can get it quicker but then you have 
to tinker with it, and it needs to be from a certain parent material. you can 
get moore on a load, quicker to laod than brush etc.

You bviously have limits to what goes throught thease machines and depending 
on what gash is left over there are a couple of options, big shredders, 
people like the tree fella, gannons do hire these machines, tubs flails etc, 
but they cost a lot of mony to hire, there are smaller ones availible shop 
arround people are always advertising hire in hort week. 2 strile a deal with 
a skip company many of the big firms will come to an arrangment where yoou 
can have a skip left on your land and changed at set intervals, you pay a 
hire rate they change say every 2 weeks. or save up all the gash, oad up your 
trailer when you a stock pile and take to the tip occasionallly.

all the above is brief, but at the end of the day conversion in to a sellable 
product makes good buissness sence.

hope this helps you decide in what direction to go.


Kev. Moore

The information in this e-Mail and any attachment(s) are intended to be
confidential and may be legally privileged. Access to and use of its
content by anyone else other than the addressee(s) may be unlawful and
will not be recognised by Thurrock Council for business purposes. Thurrock
Council cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness
of this message as it has been transmitted over a public network.

Any opinions expressed in this document are those of the author and do
not necessarily reflect the opinions of Thurrock Council.

Any attachment(s) to this message has been checked for viruses, but please
rely on your own virus checker and procedures.

If you contact us by e-mail, we will store your name and address to
facilitate communications.

The UK Tree Care mailing list -
To unsubscribe send