UKTC Archive

Re: Throw away your resistographs

Subject: Re: Throw away your resistographs
From: Jerry Ross
Date: Dec 13 2008 16:43:56
Rodger Taylor wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Ellison" <>

I think that I have already picked up three instances in this thread where the word 'frass' (insect faeces) has been used to >describe woody debris. It could inadvertently slip into common mis-usage.

Isn't frass the woody debris a wood-boring insect leaves behind as it bores, not faeces. So using the word to describe the sawdust left behing by a drill may not be so wrong.

Etymology - From Old High German fraz, frezzan (German fressen), to eat.
Noun;  Singular.
Plural:  frass (uncountable)

  1. The droppings or excrement of insects."

Good Lord - We''ll be calling the stock of a tree a "monolith" next!!

The UK Tree Care mailing list
To unsubscribe send

The UKTC is supported by The Arbor Centre